Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Day 3: The Twelve Days Of Christmas

On the Third Day of Christmas my True Love gave to me.....                                                                

                                                                             
                         Three French Hens                   


                                                                             
Here we have three baked Cornish Game Hens all dressed up for the Holidays. They are even posing in front of the Eiffel Tower. Game hens are relatively easy to make, are delicious and can give a WOW presentation.





How to Prepare Game Hens
I buy my game hens frozen. As you can see they each weigh about 16 ounces or one pound. When you are ready to dress and bake them, take them out of the freezer and let them thaw. I usually put mine in the refrigerator to thaw.


<>       
Remove the plastic from each game hen and rinse each well, inside and out. With paper towels pat the birds dry both inside and out. Try not to leave any residual water from the rinsing. See picture above for dryness.



 
With a pair of kitchen shearers cut the end piece of chicken off. Discard.

                                                                            

Tie the birds legs securely together with dental floss or heavy thread. See above picture.
                                                                   

<> <>       
Carefully rub softened butter under the skin of the breast and over top of all of the bird. Season with salt, freshly ground pepper & a sprinkling of Herbs d'Provence (which is one of my favorite seasonings.)
                                                                                


Place in a preheated 375 degree oven and bake for about one hour and 15 minutes. It may take less or more time depending upon your oven. A meat thermometer should read 180 degrees when you put it in the meaty part of the breast and the juices run clear.
                                                                                


Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes. While the hens are cooking wash and dry small silk pointsettias and leaves. With a small brush, brush on some light corn syrup on the ends of each petal. Sprinkle some EDIBLE gold glitter/sprinkles (I use the Wilton Brand) and let dry.
                                                                                   


<>       
After the hens have rested, tie 1/2 inch wide red ribbon and/or gold metalic ribbon (about 15 inches long) around the dental floss/thread that holds the legs together. Tie into a bow and trim ends making sure you leave 2-3 inches of ribbon for little streamers. (see above picture). Brush tips of wings and ends of leg bones with a little corn syrup and then dab some of the Wilton EDIBLE gold glitter/sprinkles on the tips and ends of bones. Push the pointsettia leaves into top of birds and then the pointsettia right on top. I had to use a small wooden skewer to first poke a hole in the skin and meat so the center of the leaves and pointsettia could be pushed in. Put on a platter and garnish as desired. I like to put mine on a longer oblong white platter leaving space between.  Serve. Makes three whole servings or 6 half hen servings. Expect rave reviews. NOTE: If desired make a sauce or gravy with the drippings. I used the drippings and put them in a wild rice dish to serve with the game hens. 
                                                                               







Thankyou for joining me. I love to have you come visit.

From my table to yours,
Nann
I am participating in the following. Please join us.

Thriving on Thursdays

Potpourri Friday
http://designsbygollum.blogspot.com/






Grab My Button
http://nominimalisthere.blogspot.com/






                                                                                    


http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/2011/12/mercury-glass-christmas-tree-table.html

20 comments:

Delicious Dishes by Debbie said...

Love what you did with this...the Paris touch is just what it needed. Way to go girl, you are amazing.

Heather @CommonplaceBeauty said...

Love this! Looks delicious :-). Ok...now I'm hungry!

Kim, USA said...

You are very talented and creative. i am a new follower ^_^

Table Top Tuesday

Jo's This and That said...

I love it! I will try it!

kitty said...

Another great idea, Nann! The 3 french hens are almost too cute to eat!!!

Shannon@Cozy Home Scenes said...

Hi Nann, these hens are beautiful but they also look delicious. I never would have thought of decorating them like that. You are very creative in addition to being a great cook.--------- Shannon

Phyllis@Around the House said...

Thehens look beautiful and delicious,,,thanks for sharing the great recipe...I am a new follower of yours come over for a visit...

Martha said...

Thanks for visiting Linderhof -- your hens look yummy and how clever that you gussied them up for Christmas!

Robin said...

Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Even though it's morning here, I now have a craving for cornish game hens. I haven't had one in years. Yours look so good and easy to make. They look so festive in their little decorations too!

Robin
Robin Flies South

Aimee said...

Those look DELICIOUS!!! I'm glad you stopped by and left me a sweet note so I could find your beautiful blog! I'm your newest follower and would love it if you'd return the "love" on your next visit.

XO, Aimee
itsoverflowing.com

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Oh these are so beautifully presented. I love the idea. Looks so inviting and so elegant. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Marigene said...

A Cornish game hen dressed as a poinsettia, I love it!

High Heeled Life said...

Loved this... you may have changed my mind about preparing Cornish game hens...thanks for sharing..HHL

Sandra said...

These are so cute and look so yummy. Thanks for sharing this cute idea...I love it!

Mandy said...

I just love cornish game hens and these are too adorable! I love the silk poinsettias on them!! I made the mistake once when I was a teenager of wanting to decorate a cake with real poinsettias....my mom quickly informed me that they were poisonous! ack! I learned my lesson. :) I love how you made these ones sparkle with the added glitter!

Jo's This and That said...

Nanna,where did you find your dove cookie cutter? I have been looking for one. Email me at: jrogers54@Yaghoo.com or post on josthisandthat.blogspot.com Thanks !

Donna said...

Oh, those cornish hens are so cutely decorated and yummy looking! I have not had one in ages...gonna go buy some this week and them. :-)

mrshinesclass said...

How CREATIVE! Love this idea. The hens look beautiful and delicious.

Sharon

Bliss said...

I giggle every time I see game hens. For Halloween one year we did a mystery dinner and served them up as headless pigmy's. They had knives stabbed in their chest with cranberry sauce dripping down.

~Bliss~

Nasreen Basu said...

too good piece of information, I had come to know about your site from my friend sajid, bangalore,i have read atleast 7 posts of yours by now, and let me tell you, your web-page gives the best and the most interesting information. This is just the kind of information that i had been looking for, i'm already your rss reader now and i would regularly watch out for the new post, once again hats off to you! Thanks a lot once again, Regards, cornish hen recipe

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...