Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Day 5: The Twelve Days of Christmas

Christmas is almost upon us and I wanted to continue our countdown of the Twelve Days of Christmas that we will complete before the years end. And.... 










On the 5th Day of Christmas My True Love brought to me...

Five Golden Rings

For our Golden Rings we have made:
  
Candied Orange Slices on Sugar Snow and Chocolate Dipped

Aren't these just beautiful. The large sugar crytals not only gives these candied orange slices sweetness but also a tiny bit of crunchiness. DEE...licious!


 After they have dried and you have added the sugar crystals you can make these even more decadent by dipping them in melted chocolate as seen here. I think that they are even better this way. Unfortunately the chocolate looks glumpy on here and I realize I should have thinned it down a bit more. Just know its a nice thick coating.
                                                          

To make the candied orange slices we first start with a clean and washed navel orange. We used three. However you could also use a valencia orange which are not as thick skinned. The navel orange is seed free which is important.
                                                                

On a cutting board slice the ends off the oranges and then slice orange into 1/4 inch slices like shown above.
                                                                                

I got about 5 to 6 nice slices from each orange.
                                                                              

Take a piece of clean cheese cloth (spices are laying on the cheesecloth) and put 12 whole cloves and 12 whole allspice into center and make a little bag tying off ends to hold the spices.
                                                              

In a heavy cooking pot, bring to boil 3 cups of water and 3 cups of sugar and add the spice bundle.
                                                                             

Add your orange slices to the hot sugar water mixture in the cooking pot.
                                                                           


To keep the oranges submerged under the liquid I put a heavy glass plate on top to hold them down. I tried a lid but it did not work as well as the plate. Whatever you use make sure it can stand the heat of the boiling liquid. On a low boil, on medium low heat, cook the orange slices for about 1 1/2 hours. The liquid will become thick and syrupy.
                                                             

These slices have been cooking for about an hour and you can see how thick the liquid has become. After an hour and a half turn off the heat and let cool completely.
                                                                              

When cool carefully remove slices with a fork and drain them on a rack that has been well sprayed with cooking spray. Be sure and put a cookie sheet covered with wax paper under the rack to catch all the syrup that drips through. Notice how the orange slices have become almost transparent as you can see the cooling rack lines through the slices.
                                                              

Pour orange cooking liquid from pot into a jar or other container. You can see that I had a little over a cup of this thick orange syrup left. We are saving it to put on crepes and waffles. It would also make a great dessert sauce.
                                                              

After about 2 hours of draining, carefully sprinkle large coarse sugar crystals over the top of each orange slice. Wait another two hours, turn the slices over and then sprinkle the coarse sugar on the other sides. I use Wilton Brand White Sparkling Sugar Sprinkles.
                                                                             

To serve I have put our 5 GOLDEN RINGS on a bed of the large sugar crystal snow. It looks just beautiful and glistens.
                                                                                 
      
To make these Candied Orange Slices even more decadent melt about 1-2 cups of chocolate chips with 1-2 Tablespoons of shortening in a microwave for one minute. Stir. Microwave an additional 30 seconds and stir again. If not completely melted add 15 second increments, stirring after each.
                                                                               

Dip your sugared orange slices into the chocolate and lay on a piece of wax paper. If desired sprinkle each chocolate section with just a tad of sea salt. It gives a delicious extra dimension of flavor.
                                                                                

Here are the FIVE GOLDEN RINGS chocolate dipped and sprinkled with sea salt. Unfortunately the chocolate looks glumpy on here and I realize I should have thinned it down a bit more. Just know its a nice thick coating.  But they really are to die for..... glumpy or not. (smile) 
                                                            

Whether you dip them in chocolate or leave them plain they would make a wonderful gift or dessert or to serve later as a decadent snack. ENJOY!!



Thankyou  for joining me for Day 5 of the Twelve Days of Christmas. It's always nice to have you visit. Hope you will try these as they are really good.  You'll be glad you made them... they are worth the effort.
From my Table to Yours
Nann



I am participating in:

Thriving on Thursdays
http://domesblissity.blogspot.com/

Newbies Party
http://debbie-debbiedoos.blogspot.com/

Metamorphosis Monday
http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/2011/12/upstairs-family-room-for-christmas.html#more

Seasonal Sundays
http://thetablescaper.blogspot.com/

Potpourri Friday
http://twenty-eight-0-five.blogspot.com/

Foodie Friday
http://designsbygollum.blogspot.com/

Wow Us Wednesdays
http://savvysouthernstyle.blogspot.com/2011/12/wow-us-wednesdays-45.html


Open House at
http://nominimalisthere.blogspot.com/

TablescapeThursday
http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/2011/12/colonial-williamsburg-christmas.html#more













                                                                              
                                                                                     

18 comments:

CJ said...

Nann's table is a great place to be! those chocolate dipped orange slices sound fantastic. They also sound complicated, but I'm going to give them a try, since I love the smell of orange especially around the holidays. Wish me luck, and thanks for sharing!

~CJ

Sandi Sheppard said...

These are fantastic Nann! My mouth is puckering and watering and wanting some right now! I think this will be on my Christmas table this year! XO's!

suzanne clark said...

So I went to your blog and YOU made me feel better! I have a beautiful orange tree in my backyard, and I cant wait to try this with my oranges! Thank you Nann, know someone is always thinking about you and sending you good wishes. Good people like you deserve good things!Hope you are having a great and blessed holiday-Suzanne Clark

Delicious Dishes by Debbie said...

I would have NEVER thought of this....it is smart and beautiful. You are so talented and gifted and I know that you will always come up with wonderful ideas. Keep the creative juices flowing and your blog will be so successful just like so many of the other things you do in life. Great Job...you are loved and prayers are going up for you and your family.

we three dogs and me said...

Just read your post. Very clever little birds. Will be following your posts. I learned a thing or two lol Learn something new evee=ry day. Love the orange recepie and the clever way you did the twelve days of Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Perri here, when did you sneak off and take a food photography class?? You just keep getting better and better!! I love your blog, you are doing a fantastic job! The Twelve Days are so adorable, I look forward to seeing what you have come up with next!

Dee said...

You did it again!! Wow, these do look DEE licious!! So beautiful too. How creative to save the remaining syrup for crepes. Love it!! Dee

Anonymous said...

Wow - these do look DEE licious! So beautiful too! I love how you saved the syrup for crepes. Oh I bet those will be so good!!

Kelli Henderson (The Pharmcook) said...

I'm with Perri! Great photos! The oranges look so pretty! Another awesome blog post!
:)

KC Quaretti said...

Oh my Lady Nann! You are amazing and have just knocked my socks off with your Five Golden Rings. First up...your photography is flawless and beautiful. AND your recipe is brought to life with your easy to understand directions paired with the photos. Finished product?....So professional and so delish looking!

Anonymous said...

Grand Minnie here--Lady Nann, you are simply amazing! Who would have ever thought to do that, not me! But it perfect for the 5 golden rings and I bet they taste AWESOME! I would love to sit a your table someday! :-)

Tammy at Tammy Loves Dishes said...

Nann, these candied orange slices look fabulous! I love that you showed us the steps and included the important tips, like putting a lined cookie sheet under the cooling slices. I can't wait to try these!

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

My goodness --- this looks heavenly!

~Tablescapes By Diane~ said...

Hi lovely lady.
This looks so Yummy.
I would like to thank you so much for your sweet comments on my new Tablescape for Christmas.
Hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year.
XXOO Diane

Gypsy Heart said...

Wow! These are just gorgeous ~ and your photography just enhances the beauty. Thanks so much for sharing! I haven't seen a detailed tutorial to make these so now I can do it.

I really appreciate your stopping by to see me! I'm now a follower and I look forward to getting to know you.

Merry Christmas!
Pat

The Tablescaper said...

This looks totally mouth watering. Great photos. And I love the concept of celebrating the 12 days of Christmas.

- The Tablescaper

Vicki V @ blestnest.blogspot.com said...

How pretty! I love this idea, and chocolate and orange are such a wonderful combination.

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

Stopped by from MM. Wonderful looking oranges. I love these things specially dipped in chocolate!
~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...