Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Day 2: The Twelve Days of Christmas

This past week has been an exciting and fun round of many Christmas activities. There was a delightful Christmas luncheon at a friends, A church Christmas breakfast and program, A Swiss Christmas Festival in a picturesque village high  in the mountains. There were crafts and food booths in two large halls. Some great shopping there and I found the most darling set of plates and bowls to make a new tablescape with. (And I had promised myself that I wouldn't buy anything....smile). And then I went and  saw the touching play 'The Best Christmas Pageant Ever', went to a huge Gingerbread display  and then saw the second largest display of natitivity sets in the nation held at a beautiful resort in the village. All the displays and acitivities were free too which is always nice. And last but not least helped with and attended our church ladies group (Relief Society) for a beautiful Christmas dinner. The tables were gorgeous and the food so yummy. A truly wonderful Evening.        And now it's time to get on with our  delightfulTwelve Days of Christmas.

 On the Second Day of Christmas, my True Love gave to me......... 


Two Turtle Doves (on a Salad Nest)

Aren't these adorable! They are two seasoned Parmesan toasted bread doves with a roasted red pepper bow on a butter lettuce nest. They are good on their own even without the salad. And here is how to make them.



                                             
                          Turtle Dove
                      ParmesanToasts
                                     
                  
 To make the doves first place  a slice of white sandwich bread on a cutting board. Using a dove cookie cutter cut out the dove by pressing hard. Remove dove from bread and cut any extra tiny scraps that may 'stick' to the edges of the dove. I use a sharp cutting knife to do that, so the bread makes a clean cut dove.




    Lightly butter the bread dove with soft butter carefully spreading to the edges.




 
Sprinkle very lightly with onion powder, garlic powder, white pepper and salt. Then generously sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese (from a jar) over top of buttered dove. Put a black peppercorn on the head to replicate an eye.





Put prepared bread doves on a pan and put under the broiler that is turned to low. Watch it!! As it only takes a few seconds for it to overcook-brown, so stay right by the oven and watch it carefully. They brown fast. Remove from oven and let cool.




Remove a roasted red pepper from a jar of fire roasted red peppers and lay charred side down on cutting board.


                                                                             

Cut and open up roasted pepper laying  flat on the cutting board. Cut a thin slice from one one side to make a long strip.



Put a bed of greens (I used a package of Dole's Butter Bliss Lettuce) on one larger oval or oblong plate if serving more than one person or on each individual salad plate.  You can use mixed field greens or whatever type of lettuce you prefer.  I like to keep my salad green for this dish so I only add finely sliced green onions or scallions and finely diced green pepper and celery. Diced cucumbers would be good too.




Then take your long piece of roasted red pepper and cut a piece long enough to make two loops(see above picture)  and put them in the middle of the lettuce to make a bow. Then cut two smaller pieces of the long length of red pepper to make the ribbon streamers off the bow.




Position two of the turtle doves toasts on the salad like they are each holding up one side of the bow. Serve. Pass your favorite dressing and extra dove toasts. ENJOY!! It's delicious!!


THANKYOU for joining me.
Nann

                                                             Please join me and others  at the following

                                           Thriving on Thursdays
                                                         http://domesblissity.blogspot.com/
                                               Potpourri Friday    
                                                     http://twenty-eight-0-five.blogspot.com/


                                                                                          
Dittle Dattle
http://dittledattle.blogspot.com/2011/12/amaze-me-monday-53.html
                                                 





Seasonal Sundays # 78–Mantle Change Up
http://thetablescaper.blogspot.com/
             
                                               
                                                                                                                         
FOODIE FRIDAY Click for details
http://designsbygollum.blogspot.com/
                                                                                                       
                                                                                                

http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/2011/12/santa-claus-is-coming-to-town-welcome.html#more

                               
http://nominimalisthere.blogspot.com/2011/12/holiday-dining-block-party-giveaway.html




19 comments:

Sandra said...

I love this idea! I had to go back and see the Partridge in a Pear Tree. Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas! And I'll be back to check out what you do for the next 10 days of Christmas! Too Cute!

afoodie said...

What a clever and delicious idea.

Sheila said...

That is the cutest thing ever. I must try this. Thanks for sharing!!!

xinex said...

This is so cute! Thanks for the lovely idea...Christine

Designs By Pinky said...

This is wonderful! Where did you find the dove cookie cutter?? I NEVER bake so ahve NO cookie cutters:( XO, Pinky

Jo's This and That said...

I love it! going out to get some cookie cutters! Thanks for sharing your beautiful ideas! And visiting my blog.JoAnn

KC Quaretti said...

Nancy, this is so creative and just the sweetest thing on earth!

Delicious Dishes by Debbie said...

I just love your idea and your talent. You are amazing. This salad is beautiful and I'm sure delicious. We should all take the time to make this over the holiday season. Love it!!

Nann from At Nann's Table said...

Debbie, KC, Jo, Pinky,Christine, Sheila, afoodie and Sandra....THANKYOU all for your sweet comments. I'm so glad you came to my blog and like my ideas.

kitty said...

Nann, that is so cute! I love this idea!! I'm your newest follower.

Mandy said...

Oh Nancy, this is just adorable! What will you think of next?! :)

Shannon's Shanonigins said...

Nancy, I love these, they are beautiful. I would never have guessed them to be so easy, your instructions and photos are wonderful :)

kat007 said...

That is so inventive... I have hearts of romaine in my fridge just waiting for the doves. I will try this tonight with our lamb chops and sweet potatoes. :)))

Kelli Henderson (The Pharmcook) said...

Lady Nann, I love this! I was so excited that it was so easy. I can do this. :) What a creative use of white bread! :)

Sweetladyelaine said...

Cute idea! I just shared this with a friend. Thanks for stopping by!
Blessings My Friend,

Snap said...

Nann, what a great idea for two turtle doves! Adorable! Happy Happy and a Merry Merry!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

How pretty is that! You are so clever! I am enjoying following along...can't wait to see what's next! Happy week!...hugs...Debbie

Kim, USA said...

You have a very beautiful idea!

Table Top Tuesday

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

This is such a fabulous idea. I love it. Hugs, Marty

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...