Monday, January 23, 2012

Chinese New Years Today with Magazine Copycat Challenge


Hello Everyone...it is so good of you to join me today which is the first day of the Chinese New Year that lasts two weeks. This year is the year of the Dragon. And I have a couple of recipes that I think you might enjoy if you like good chinese food. But first.....

Debbie Doos Blog for all us Newbie Bloggers of less than 6 months has given us a magazine look alike challenge. It is to find a Magazine picture and put a spin on it your own way. So I've been looking through a bunch of 'old' magazines and saw this picture in the February 2000 issue of Martha Stewarts Magazine .And here it is.


                                                             
                                                                                 
Slow-Cooked Lamb with Prunes, Red Peppers and Dried Apricots, Coucous and Lavish Bread



So what is so special about this picture you ask? Yes it is Middle Eastern Food and WHAT does that have to do with Chinese New Years. Well.... I liked the squareish plate and how the eating utensils were placed at the bottom of the plate. And notice the round bowls to the left holding olives and some sort of condiment for the meat. I thought to myself that I could give it a similar took but with a chinese spin on it for Chinese New Year. And here it is.


              
 Mongolian Pork, Asian Spicy Garlic Green Beans, Fried Rice and Fried Wontons
                                                                     

Hopefully you can see the similarities. The plate is also white and square. The chopsticks..instead of knife and fork  at the bottom of the plate. CHINESE...The meat is Mongolian Pork with spicy green beans and red peppers and Fried Rice. 
MIDDLE  EASTERN ...The Lamb was with Apricots, prunes and red peppers  and Coucous.  
The Lavash Bread of Turkey and the Fried Wonton Wrapper..Chinese. On the left I used a white soup bowl filled with Hot and Sour soup compared to the olives and condiments put in the middle eastern one. Instead of another bowl with a condiment I used a small square white plate and put an egg roll and dabs of hot chinese mustard and sweet and sour sauce for dipping. And its all on a black tablecloth to make it pop. Come to think about it my last post was about black and white. Oh well....it works here too with chinese food. (smile)

 Here is a couple of   GREAT Chinese Food Recipes.

Asian Spicy Garlic Green Beans
  • 1 16 ounce package frozen green beans (thaw in microwave 2-3 minutes)
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon garlic chili sauce
  • 1 teaspoon honey
  • 1 teaspoons sesame oil
  • 1 Tablespoon cooking oil
                                 
1.    In a bowl, mix the soy sauce, garlic, garlic chili sauce, and honey.

2.    Heat the oils in a skillet over medium heat. Add the green beans, and fry for 3 to 5 minutes. Pour in the soy sauce mixture. Continue cooking and stirring 2-3 minutes, or until the liquid is nearly evaporated and the beans are done. But do not overcook. Serve immediately.


Fried Rice 

 2 cups uncooked instant riceClick to see savings
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil, dividedClick to see savings
  2 large eggs, lightly beaten

Click to see savings1 cup (1/2-inch-thick) slices green onions
1 cup frozen peas and carrots, thawed
2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
1 teaspoon bottled minced fresh ginger
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
1/2 teaspoon dark sesame oil
Thinly sliced green onions (optional)




 1.Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
2. While rice cooks, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add eggs to pan; cook 1 minute or until done, breaking egg into small pieces. Remove from pan. Add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil to pan. Add 1 cup onions, peas and carrots, garlic, and ginger; sauté 2 minutes.
3. While vegetable mixture cooks, combine rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, and sesame oil. Add cooked rice to pan; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add egg, and soy sauce mixture; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Garnish with sliced green onions, if desired.
NOTE: Using frozen peas and carrots plus bottled minced garlic and ginger speeds up preparation.

                                  Adapted from Cooking Light Magazine



THANKYOU for joining me today. On my next post I will be
announcing my FIRST GIVEAWAY. And you will love it!!
Nann
 
I will be participating in these wonderful blog parties:



   Your Cozy Home Scene
    http://cozyhomescenes.blogspot.com/

   Tabletop Tuesday


Click to see savings
                                                  
        

Click to see savings

        

        

     

        

Click to see savings

        

       

        




Find local grocery deals. Edit your ZIP code and select your favorite grocery stores to see what ingredients are on sale right now. 
· 

                   
 


19 comments:

Bliss said...

Oh yumm. Don't even put mine on a plate, I don't need it. A shovel would work then I can just scoop it all in my mouth. Looks delicious, I love Chinese food.

~Bliss~

Debbiedoo's blogging and blabbing said...

Oh Nann this is fantastic. This is the first recipe one I have seen since I have started this party. I have seen cakes but not a full meal like this. WOW, it looks great and I thank you for the inspiration and for sharing.

Reba and Eldarose, sisters, friends and co-bloggers said...

hey Nann!

I love how this came out. It definitely got the overall effect of the magazine picture. Frankly, you made me hungry. LOL!

I'm very impressed you made Chinese. I rarely try anything that exotic.

Eldarose

Anonymous said...

Nann...you have really taken off with your blog...and it's inspiring and beautiful! Call me Iminapickle! Love ya, Eunice

Delicious Dishes by Debbie said...

Man I would love to have some Chinese food right now. yummy...you made me hungry. Good job.

ButterYum said...

Hi Nann - what a fun post! I love your recipes... especially the green beans - yummo! Can't wait to try them.

:)
ButterYum

Shannon's Shanonigins said...

Wow Nancy, yours looks better than Martha's :) Now I want Chinese food, lol

Cheryl said...

Hi Nann!
Oh! I definitely agree!! Better than Martha's!! How fun! What a great idea!!
Happy Chinese New Year!!
xoxoxo
Cheryl;-)

Jo's This and That said...

It Looks wonderful! It would be nice to win you cooking for me for a week in KY...LOL I would get fatter! Thanks for sharing JoAnn

Anne @ Domesblissity said...

Oh Nann! You're so clever! This looks delicious. I'm going to steal your recipe for those beans. I love them but they always taste a bit bland on their own. I always love the way you set things up. Very appetising I must say!

Anne xx

Shannon @ COZY HOME SCENES said...

Nann, I'm being truthful when I say this, but your plate looks much more appealing and appetizing than Martha's! You did a great job of not only recreating her version, but going above and beyond the original.

Your food looks as mouthwatering as it always does too.

Thank you so much for joining my party again, and I do hope that you will come back next week!

laxsupermom said...

Looks delicious! I didn't mark the New Year yesterday, but will be planning on dumplings this evening since it's a 2 week long celebration. Love your presentation! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Grand Minnie here Nann, my favorite food is Chinese food and this table setting of wonderful looking food made me want to reach into my computer to grab them. They looked so appetizing! I KNOW they were good too! I am with Jo--I want to win a week with you cooking for me! :-) That would be the best giveaway ever!!!

Anonymous said...

Roberta here! I love Chinese food and your recipies sound great. Another winning blog log if you ask me!

Kathleen said...

You did a great job, Nann, on the food and the table!

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Gorgeous tablescape and you have all my favorites to eat. Yum. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Sarah said...

Great job on both the food and your table. Happy Year of the Dragon.

kitty said...

Sounds like a wonderful menu, Nann! Love your stylish table, too.

Kelli Henderson (The Pharmcook) said...

What a beautiful plate of delicious food that is! Great job. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...