Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Day 11: The Twelve Days of Christmas

 
 






Today we are celebrating Day 11: Eleven Pipers Piping of the Twelve Days of Christmas. Presenting our Pipers playing:



Puffy Garlic Parmesan Breadstick 'Flutes'

These yummy breadsticks are made out of puff pastry dough and decorated with dabs of cream cheese and slices of pimento filled green olives. Before they were baked they were given an eggwash and sprinkled with garlic salt and parmesan cheese.



A 'Breadsticks' tutorial

You will need a package of frozen puff pastry. Thaw the pastry and lay out one sheet at a time onto a parchment lined baking sheet.



With a sharp knife or cutting wheel, cut pastry into sticks about 1 to 1 1/4 inch wide.


Remove the extra dough from the sticks




With your fingers round out the ends of the dough to make them look like the ends of a flute.




In a small bowl beat an egg.




With a pastry brush, brush beaten eggs over the pastry sticks.








Gather together bottled parmesan cheese, onion powder (optional), garlic powder OR garlic salt and salt.


Generously sprinkle the garlic salt or powder,  optional onion powder, salt if not using garlic salt and the parmesan cheese over the egg washed breadsticks.


Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. When heated put pan into the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until golden. CHECK after 10 minutes as some ovens bake hotter than others. They should look like this.


Golden brown to perfection


Remove from oven and cool completely.



Lay one or two pimento stuffed olives
per breadstick on a paper towel to drain.



Slice each olive into several rounds





Put some plain softened cream cheese in a ziplock baggie and cut a small hole in the corner. Then pipe small dabs where the olive slices will go on the 'breadstick flutes' for the keys.




Put sliced olives over cream cheese dabs and press down. These now make the keys of the flutes.


Lay your breadstick flutes on a platter and serve. Expect RAVES. They are SO good!!
Note: Normally when I make them I don't add the olives. I did that today to replicate the 'flutes that the Pipers played' for the Twelve Days of Christmas.  Ordinarily I put the breadsticks into a tall glass to serve. And you need to make alot because most people want seconds and thirds or more. I usually serve these with SOUP.




Thankyou for joining me. I do hope you will make these
delicious breadsticks soon. Your family and guests will love them!!

From My Table to Yours,

Nann
I am particpating in:
Inspiration Friday
http://www.atthepicketfence.com/


2805 Potpourri Friday
http://twenty-eight-0-five.blogspot.com/

Foodie Friday
http://designsbygollum.blogspot.com/

Open House Party
http://nominimalisthere.blogspot.com/

Tablescape Thursday
 http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/
Thriving on Thursdays  http://domesblissity.blogspot.com/

9 comments:

Anne @ Domesblissity said...

Nann, these look fantastic. I reckon they'd be great for any time of year, not just Christmas. I'm saving this one.

Anne xx

LDH said...

You are amazing! :) Creativeness must be your middle name. I have really enjoyed your Twelve days of Christmas series!

StardustSavannah said...

Hi Nann- jumped over from my friend Mrs. B's blog-
These look amazing and you sure got creative!
Nice to meet you:)
Tracy

Reba and Eldarose, sisters, friends and co-bloggers said...

Nann,

seriously, these are AWESOME!

Next time I have a themed party, would it be okay if I asked you for menu suggestions? I have a feeling you'd come up with some amazing ideas. I have loved all your posts.

Eldarose

Anonymous said...

NANN!!! You make these look so easy & fun!!! With your wonderful step by step instructions with pictures, I am going to make these with the girls soon!!!
Dee

Shannon@Cozy Home Scenes said...

Nann, I'm having some computer problems again. No pictures are showing up but thankfully there is text. You have so carefully detailed the directions for making this recipe that I don't actually need to see the pictures. I am imagining the the breadsticks are beautiful and no question they would be delicious. I think I just made myself hungry!!
( the picture problem is sporadic- can see some blogs-very annoying )------------ Shannon

cathy@my1929charmer said...

Breadsticks are one of my favorites, I have never made them, but after seeing your great recipe I will give it a try. Your twelve days series is really special. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, I'm glad you like my chairs. It's funny you have the same knight as me, I just love him. Like that your friend calls them Hans and Frans, so cute. Thanks for following me, I now follow you with GFC, and sent a friend request for Facebook. You sure are doing great for a 7 week blogger. Great job. I have a link party on Sunday afternoon, hope you join in.

Barb~Bella Vista said...

Hi Nann, goodness, these look so yummy and delicious! I love, love bread.

Thanks so much for your kind comment this morning and for following. I am now following you....so happy to find you.

Have a blessed and happy weekend,
Barb

laurie said...

these bead sticks look yummy, I just found your blog and have been enjoying reading all your past pots, I'm your newest follower, best wishes from Canada!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...