Monday, January 16, 2012

Fabulous, Fast and FRENCH....Coq Au Vin



One of my FAVORITE dishes that I have come to love over the years is Coq Au Vin. That is french for Chicken in Wine. It is a peasant dish and perhaps the best known and loved Chicken Dish from France. Before you panic and say...there's no way I would attempt this...please read through to see for yourself that you can make this Delicious Dish fairly quickly with some short cuts that I show you. Also we personally do not drink alcohol but I do occasionallycook with wine as the alcohol cooks out. Here is my version...


Chicken Coq Au Vin
Doesn't this look absolutely delicious!! Well it is!! And the next days leftovers are even better! That's what I like about French Cooking is that they infuse depth and layers of flavor into their cooking.



This is my favorite cooking pot, a cast iron dutch oven. Oh I guess I should say cooking vessel. It sounds more proper & sophisticated (smile). I grew up with my mother cooking all her roasts and stews in a cast iron dutch oven just like this one. It was an absolute must gift that I had to have when I got married. And I have had this one for a long, long time. It is well worn and battered as I use it so often.


                                                                                      
                                                                       
For this recipe we use chicken thighs. Julia Child preferred thighs as they have alot more flavor than the white meat and are much moister. I agree.   These thighs were on sale for only 69 cents a pound and in my area that is a great buy. I used a little over 4 lbs which numbered nine thighs.



                                                                              
Season the chicken thighs with onion powder, garlic powder, salt and fresh ground pepper on both sides of the chicken pieces.


                                                                                  
 Pour a few tablespoons of cooking oil or olive oil into the dutch oven and heat over medium high heat. Add your chicken pieces and brown them on both sides. Do this in batches as you do NOT want to crowd the chicken.

                                                                                
                                                                      
When a golden brown remove chicken to a plate while you prepare the vegetables.

                                                                     
Chop a half of a large peeled onion and one or two peeled carrots. I LOVE my chopper as it makes quick work of the chopping and is so easy to wash and clean.

         
Add the chopped vegetables to the pot and saute them until they are translucent and soft. Add more cooking oil if necessary.

                                                                     
Put the browned chicken back into the pot on top of the sauteed onion and carrots. In a separate bowl add one 14oz. can of Chicken broth, (I also add one 10oz. can of Condensed chicken broth which is not shown here), one cup of red wine or burgundy wine (also not shown here), two bay leaves, 1/4 teaspoon each of thyme leaves and Herbs d'Provence, two generous tablespoons of tomato paste, and a half of jar of bacon pieces. (Do NOT use imitation bacon.) NOTE: OR If you prefer you can use 4-5 slices cooked bacon that is crisp and crumbled. Also add a handful of chopped fresh parsley. Blend  well together and add it to the chicken. Bring to a boil, cover with lid then lower heat and SIMMER for 30 minutes. OR after bringing it to a boil you can put into a 350 degree oven and bake for 45 minutes to an hour. After cooking 30 minutes add 8 ounces of whole or sliced mushrooms and if desired a small defrosted package of pearl onions. We personally do not like the pearl onions so we omit them. Put lid back and simmer until fork tender about another 10 minutes.
                                                                  


When done add fresh chopped parsley and serve at the table. OR remove the chicken to a plate and thicken the sauce with some flour and water that has been mixed together. Serve the chicken and sauce over cooked noodles or mashed potatoes. Makes 4 servings at two thighs per person OR six to eight servings of one thigh each if the thighs are large. ENJOY.

Thanks for joining me today. Its always so fun to have you visit!


Nann

16 comments:

Jo's This and That said...

Oh how I wish I was your neighbor!It looks and smells wonderful! Thanks for sharing,got to go to eat now! Joann

StardustSavannah said...

I am so hungry now:(

Looks stunning, Nann. Enjoy!
Tracy

Shannon @ COZY HOME SCENES said...

What time is dinner? This looks GOOD! Chicken is usually so bland on it's own, it's nice to find recipes with lots of flavor. Like you, my family doesn't drink either, but we love cooking with it for the taste. Therefore, I'm always on the lookout for new ideas. This one looks like a winner!

Thank you Nann for sharing this on my "Your Cozy Home" party. Hope to see you sign up whenever you can!

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Oh my, that sounds sooooo good and I can almost smell it. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, marty

kitty said...

That looks so good, Nann! Thanks for sharing!

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh this is totally fabulous and congratulations on your feature!!! XO Cindy

Nellie said...

What a terrific recipe! Definitely one to try!

Anne @ Domesblissity said...

Oh Nann. Your Coq au Vin looks absolutely delicious. I've cooked this many times but I'm going to take your suggestions on board come winter time. Hope you'll link this up on the linky party tomorrow. Hope you've been well.

Your Aussie friend,
Anne xx

Delicious Dishes by Debbie said...

I love your posts. I've never made this, but there is always f first.
Beautiful photos and I'm sure this is delicious.

Anonymous said...

Grandma Miller says...Look at you go girl! You are accumulating quite a collection of wonderful recipes here! Coq Au Vin was the first recipe I ever cooked from the first cookbook I ever owned over forty years ago!... and your recipe for Coq Au Vin looks fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Thankfully, now that you shared this coq au vin is no longer in my pile of "scary culinary dishes" that I'm afraid to try. Sounds like comfort food if served over mashed potatoes like you suggested. Lovely photos!

Peggy Calhoun :)

Cheryl said...

Yuummyy!!! I made coq au vin once! It was .. ok!! That was along time ago... I think I added to much wine or something at the time... I have been afraid to make it again... but I love the way you listed the recipe... and directions.. easy peasy!! I will try this!! I bought chicken today.. I think I will make for tomorrow's dinner!! Thank you for the great idea!!
xoxoxox
Cheryl;-)

Patti said...

What time is dinner - this made my mouth water! Please stop by to enter my giveaway of a digital scrapbook program!

Kathleen said...

It looks delicious, Nann!

Honey at 2805 said...

Thank you for sharing your wonderful recipe at Potpourri Friday!

Anthony T.Keil said...

Good website! I really love how it is easy on my eyes and the data are well written. I'm wondering how I might be notified when a new post has been made. I've subscribed to your feed which must do the trick! Have a nice day!
PaperPro : Prodigy Spring Powered Stapler, 25 Sheet Cap, Blue/Silver -:- Sold as 2 Packs of - 1 - / - Total of 2 Each

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...