Monday, February 20, 2012

It's Mardi Gras Time



Today  I'm going to share with you a tradtional cajun dish JAMBALAYA that we will be eating for 'Fat Tuesday' which is tomorrow. Let's get to the good stuff... the recipe and eating.

     Jambalaya...A New Orleans Tradition
    I've had this delicious, easy and fast recipe for years and have enjoyed making it many many times. Hope you'll try it.

  Jambalaya  (Absolutely delicious and easy)

2 T. butter
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1 medium green pepper, coarsely chopped
½  - 1 lb. cooked Polish Sausage or Kielbasa Sausage, cut into ¼ - ½ inch slices
½ - 1 lb. frozen large cooked shrimp, thawed
16 oz. can tomatoes with green pepper & onion, undrained and cut up
14 ½ oz. can chicken broth
6 oz. can tomato paste
¾ cup uncooked long grain rice
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon thyme leaves
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon (or more to taste) cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
1 bay leaf

In a large dutch oven, melt the butter and sauté onion and green pepper for  3-4 minutes or until tender. Stir in remaining ingredients accept  for shrimp and blend well. Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or until rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, stirring occasionally. Add the defrosted shrimp the last 5 to 10 minutes to heat through.  Remove bay leaf. Serve with Crusty Bread and a Green Salad. 



Here is another Jambalaya recipe from Taste of Home that has been tauted to be pretty authentic. Go check it out. It had good reviews.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Captain-Russell-s-Jambalaya

     Captain Russells Jambalaya
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
Captain Russell's Jambalaya Recipe


                                                                                                           
THANKYOU for joining me today to help celebrate Mardi Gras here on my blog. The next few days we will be continuing the party. So come on back!!

Nann

12 comments:

LDH said...

Hello Nann,

I have never made Jambalaya but always thought it looked good. I am noting your recipe and hope to make it soon!

Bliss said...

Geeze I'm just having waffles for Fat Tuesday. I think in honor of lent you should have a recipe a week that uses minimal items, fills up my belly, and if it's a Friday, doesn't have meat.

~Bliss~

Shabby chic Sandy said...

I was hungrey--now I'm really hungrey. Thanks for sharing!

Nellie said...

Thank you for this, Nann. It will be on my table on Tuesday! Mardi Gras - such a festive time!

Debbiedoo's said...

Thanks for joining in and sharing Nann..the jambalaya looks divine.

Karen said...

This looks wonderful! I'll definitely save this one for just the right time... which will be soon!
Karen
Ladybug Creek

Jo's This and That said...

Looks wonderful. I am making some tonight. Thanks for posting.Joann

Donna said...

Happy "Fat Tuesday"! Wow, that dish and recipe you've posted makes my mouth water. I always wanted to try to make a Jambalaya! Thank you for sharing this recipe.

Shannon @ Cozy Home Scenes And Cozy Home Kitchen said...

I know very little about Mardi Gras, so I'll be reading your posts when you tell more about it. Thanks for sharing the Jambalaya recipe. This looks like something my brother would love. I appreciate you coming to my party each week Nann!

Michele @ The Nest at Finch Rest said...

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM that looks so delish!

And what a fun colorful Mardi Gras book! Can't wait to learn all about it...I know very little about it, actually, and I know it is steeped in rich tradition.

You have a wonderful blog!

Thank you so very much for coming by - and for all your REALLY sweet comments, you have no idea how well they hit my eyes, ears and heart.

Sending you big hugs.

Happy Fat Tuesday.

Hugs.

Anne @ Domesblissity said...

Hi Nann. I remember having jambalaya in New Orleans back in 2000. It was great. I'm going to have to try it. That little book looks fantastic.

Anne xx

Not Your Ordinary Agent said...

Nann, thank you so much for your kind comment on my post for the chicken noodle soup. I'm thinking about you and your husband. (I'm a new follower too!) Not Your Ordinary Recipes

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...