Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Piece de Risistance - The Valentines Dessert




 Well now we come to The Piece De Resistance....the Dessert that I served at the Valentine Birthday luncheon last Saturday. For over forty years (yes I know I know that dates me) I've been making this dessert called 'Cherry Berries on a Cloud.' I believe its an old Betty Crocker recipe but was given to me by my dear friend Carolyn B. Anyway here it is. I'll show it two ways....one in a 9x13 pan or the other as a Heart Shaped Dessert. Either way it is To Die For........

         Cherry Berries on a Cloud


Cherry Berries on a Cloud (Recipe)

      6 egg whites
      1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
      1/4 teaspoon salt
      1 3/4 cups sugar

      FILLING:
       8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
       1 cup sugar
       1 teaspoon vanilla extract
       2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
       2 cups miniature marshmallows



       TOPPING:
        1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
        2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
        1 teaspoon lemon juice
           mint leaves for garnish, optional
  1. In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form (do not underbeat). Spread evenly in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan. Bake at 275 degrees F for 1 hour; turn off oven (do not open door). Let cool in oven overnight or at least 12 hours.
  2. Beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth; gently fold in whipped cream and marshmallows. Spread over meringue. Chill for 4 hours. Cut into 16 pieces. Combine topping ingredients; spoon 1/4 cup over each serving. 

                                                       To make it into a Heart Shape
                                                                                                  
    Lay a large piece of parchment paper on a large baking pan. Using a heart shaped cake pan or other heart shape of the size you desire, trace the outline of the heart onto the paper. Turn the paper over. INSTEAD of spreading the meringue mixture in a 9x13 pan, spread 1/2 to 3/4 of it onto the inside of the heart shape going to just the inner edges of the heart shape outline. Put remainder of the meringue in a large zip lock bag or pastry bag and cut about one inch off the end. Squeeze meringue around the top edge of the meringue to build it up Or you can just build it up with a spoon and knife.  Then proceed to bake it as directed. When totally cool fill the center with the filling mixture and chill for the 4 hours. When ready to serve spoon the topping over the filling just going to within the inner edge of the of the filling. (See picture). Put remaining topping into a bowl to serve over the pieces as they are cut. Expect RAVE reviews. Its delicioso!!!!

                

    Thankyou for joining me today. Hope you will make this soon. This is a family favorite that now my daughters make for their family. Its worth the small amount of effort it takes and is over the top good. You'll be glad you did.


    Nann

     I am participating in these linky Parties:

    Cozy Home Scenes
    http://cozyhomescenes.blogspot.com/

    Tabletop Tuesdays
    http://astrollthrulife.blogspot.com/

    Metamorphosis Monday
    http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/2012/02/decorating-for-valentines-day-welcome.html


    Newbies Party
    http://debbie-debbiedoos.blogspot.com/2012/02/decorating-with-ivy-newbie-party.html

    Sunday's Best Par.tay
    http://my1929charmerblog.com/sundays-best-18-par-tay/

    Seasonal Sundays  http://thetablescaper.blogspot.com/2012/02/seasonal-sunday-87-dish-storage.html

    Pink Saturday  http://howsweetthesound.typepad.com/my_weblog/pink-saturday/
    Show and Tell Friday  http://romantichome.blogspot.com/

    2805 Potpourri Party  http://twenty-eight-0-five.blogspot.com/

    Inspiration Fridays http://www.atthepicketfence.com/
    Feathered Nest Friday http://frenchcountrycottage.blogspot.com/

    Tickled Pink Fridays http://www.504main.com/

    Home Sweet Home Party http://thecharmofhome.blogspot.com/

    Lauries Valentine Par.tay http://bargainhuntingwithlaurie.blogspot.com/2012/02/valentine-parties-through-years.html

    OpenHouse Party

    30 comments:

    Anne said...

    Dear Nann,
    This sounds absolutely divine! My husband is the cook/baker/experimenter in the kitchen here, so I will print it out for him!...♥ Anne

    Aledia said...

    Oh my goodness!! This looks soooo delish! Thank You so much for sharing!

    (hugs)
    Aledia~

    Shabby chic Sandy said...

    This looks incredible!

    Anne @ Domesblissity said...

    Oh Nann! How delicious! That's very familiar to us Aussie's famous pavlova but we just use fresh cream to top the cooked egg white and then top with fresh tropical fruit. I'd love to try it with your filling. Looks beautiuful!

    Anne xx

    Bliss said...

    No calories in licking my monitor and it helps to keep it clean.

    ~Bliss~

    Nellie said...

    What a luscious dessert! I will just have to try it! Thanks so much, Nann.

    Laurie L said...

    Holy Cow! those look delicious!~!!

    Anonymous said...

    What a perfect Valentines dessert!!! That looks soooooo good!!! You always make me so hungry!!!!
    Love, Dee

    Kathleen said...

    It looks delicious, perfect for Valentines Day!
    I had to smile at your meatloaf. Dh doesnt like it, I love it. I made one in the shape of a heart a few years ago for a post. It didnt change his mind, lol!
    Have a great weekend, Nann!

    Lorraine said...

    Oh, yum!! I love it in the heart shape! Thanks for sharing. Happy Valentine Pink Saturday!! ~Lorraine ♥♥♥

    Carol at Serendipity said...

    I have had this and it is beyond beyond!

    Happy Pink Saturday!

    Carol

    Jan@southernjunkin' said...

    Yummy! Love anything that includes berries!! Visiting from Pink Saturday!!

    Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

    That would be a very impressive dessert indeed-beautiful:@)

    Marti McClure said...

    Nann, this look so delicious and fancy! I'm so glad you shared the directions. Happy Valentines Day and Happy Pink Saturday. ~Marti

    1CardCreator said...

    Yum, I had to Pin it!
    So glad I saw you at Beverly's Pink Saturday. ~Diane (I am #16)

    Pat's Pink Apron said...

    Beautiful! & yummy too. Pat

    kitty said...

    Hi Nann, I remember this dessert from back in the day!! Thanks for reminding me about this wonderful treat. I loved your beautiful tables, too. Wish I was a guest!!! Happy Valentine's Day!

    laurie @ bargain hunting said...

    Oh my Goodness! I am drooling all over my keyboard. That looks delicious ~ in addition to being a beautiful dessert. Thank you so much for sharing the recipe and for linking it to the party at my place! laurie

    Lizabeth @ Infuse With Liz said...

    That does look amazingly good! I'll have to try it! Thanks for sharing!

    Gypsy Heart said...

    I'm drooling too! This is a gorgeous dessert ~ thanks so much for sharing it with us. I will definitely try it.

    Happy Valentine's Day to you and yours!

    Pat

    Gypsy Heart said...

    I'm drooling too! This is a gorgeous dessert ~ thanks so much for sharing it with us. I will definitely try it.

    Happy Valentine's Day to you and yours!

    Pat

    MARÍA said...

    ohh, seems so yummy!!!

    you can visit my valentine´s post:

    http://lacasitadmaria.blogspot.com/2012/02/semana-de-san-valentin-ii-valentines.html

    María from spain!!

    Jo's This and That said...

    No ups today.Sweet you thinking of me. THanks for you lovely compliments. I know your husband is one lucky man to has such a extradinary cook /designer. Tell him I said so, happy v day joann

    Bunny Jean said...

    Hi Nann!

    Oh... if only I was a Skinny Minnie like I used to be.

    DARN menopause...

    I came by via Laurie's party... Happy valentine's Day!

    xoxo Bunny Jean

    Shannon @ COZY HOME SCENES said...

    This dessert looks so divine it's making my mouth water. You always have the best looking food and make it look special for all your occasions. Looks like you've taught your family well so they will pass these recipes along to their families.

    Thanks for sharing at my party this week Nann!

    The Shady Porch said...

    Hi Nan, Your recipe looks delicious! I am a fan of anything with cream cheese...yum! I'd love to have you share it at my party going on now.

    Honey at 2805 said...

    Beautiful! Thank you for sharing your recipe at Potpourri Friday.

    I am now following you via Linky and hope you will too!

    Honey at 2805 said...

    You are featured today at Potpourri Friday!

    Bonnie said...

    My mouth is watering looking at your pretty heart dessert. Yes, I do plan to make it and will definitely remember this for next Valentine's Day.

    Good recipes can't be improved upon. My children like their favorites too.

    Sarah said...

    Meringues are my favorite. Love the idea of making one into a big heart. I'm going to do this. ;-)

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...