Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A Way to a Man's Heart





There is a delicious Comfort Food that I have found that almost all Men Love. And I have found that most Women do too. When my husband and I became engaged...oh so many years ago,  my parents gave us an Engagement Party. It was for a small group of friends but Mom really did the food up right. To add a little 'romance' to the meal she made a large Heart Shaped Meatloaf and put an arrow of either red peppers or catsup across it. It was adorable and fit the occassion perfectly. Then after we were married for about four months my husband kept asking me to make'meat casserole.'  Well I made every hamburger casserole that I could find a recipe for. And it was never it. Then one day I decided to make a meat loaf. And when I did my husband exclaimed,'Meat Casserole, you made meat casserole.'  I said 'no its called Meat  Loaf.' He said he didn't care what I called it, it was the meat casserole that he wanted and loved. We had a good laugh. Since then over the years I have of course made meatloaf often. But for special "heart" occassions like ourA nniversary and/ or  Valentines day   I have made a  Heart Shaped Meatloaf with some sort of sauce either on it or to serve with it. Many of our children have remembered this. I guess they could see that it was a way to say 'I Love You.' 

Well now to bring us to the luncheon I gave last Saturday. Since I was having such a large group I wanted to be able to do all the food ahead. As I thought about this and since it was a Valentines  Birthday luncheon I wanted to do something extra special. The thought came into my mind to make 'mini heart shaped meatloaves,' so each person would have their own individual one. I also made a sauce to go with it. And everyone just loved  having their own. So here is the recipe I used and here is how I made them.

                       
                Individual Mini Heart Shaped Meatloaves
                                         
                                                                                    


                                                                             
1 lb. Lean ground beef
1 lb Bulk Italian Sausage
1 /2 large green pepper finely diced
1 onion finely diced
1 - 8.1 oz. jar Sundried Tomato Pesto
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup Italian style bread crumbs
½  tsp. salt
½ tsp. fresh ground black pepper
2  tsp. Italian Seasoning

Heat Oven to 375 degrees.
Put all ingredients into a large mixing bowl and with clean hands mix  until well blended.  Press the meat mixture into  a  4 inch wide by 1 ¼ inch deep Heart Shaped cookie cutter upside down on a flat surface like a plate and press the meat mixture into it. Then put the filled cutter right side up onto a large baking pan  and slightly push the meatloaf out onto the pan. It should come out easily. Then continue to do the same  thing with the rest of the meat and spacing the mini meatloaves with room between each. At this point if not baking immediately, put about two in a quart size freezer bag and freeze. Repeat with remaining mini meatloaves.
 Bake the meatloaves about 45 minutes or longer  until the internal temperature of the meat registers 160 on a meat thermometer.  Makes 6-8 mini meatloaves or more depending on size of cookie cutter you use. (OR on a large baking pan form the mixture into a large heart shaped loaf. Bake as directed for individual loaves.)  Garnish with your favorite sauce and fresh italian parsley leaves in center to form another small heart.

Note:  l make a separate spicy sauce and put some on each of the little loaves before serving and put rest into a small bowl and pass with the meat. Recipe below.

Put all ingredients into a large mixing bowl and with clean hands
mix until well blended.

                                                                           
This is the cookie cutter I used for the mini meatloaves. I bought it at Walmart for less than $2.
                                                           
                                                                          
 Press the meat mixture into a 4 inch wide by 1 ¼ inch deep Heart Shaped cookie cutter upside down on a flat surface like a plate and press the meat mixture into it.
                                                                                 

Then put the filled cutter right side up onto a large baking pan and slightly push the meatloaf out onto the pan. It should come out easily. Then continue to do the same thing with the rest of the meat and spacing the mini meatloaves with room between each.
                                                           


Bake the meatloaves about 45 minutes or longer until the

internal temperature of the meat registers 160 on a meat

thermometer.



Garnish with your favorite sauce and fresh Italian parsley leaves in the center of the meat loaf to form another small heart.   Note: Below is a blog address for a fabulous and yummy sauce that we like to serve with it. The sauce is really good & we love it!

Sweet & Spicy Rotel Sauce
 From the Kitchen of Deep South Dish
Source: http://www.deepsouthdish.com/2010/06/sweet-and-spicy-rotel-sauce-for.html http://www.deepsouthdish.com 





I served the mini meatloaves with Twice Baked Potatoes and....



                                                Fresh Broccoli Salad
Note: I blanch the broccoli before adding to the salad to give the bright green color.


 
It was all absolutely delicious!!!

This is one of my family's favorite meals. They love it and I bet yours will too. Enjoy!!
          

 Thankyou for joining me today.   

Nann

           

20 comments:

Shannon@Cozy Home Scenes said...

You never cease to amaze me with your creative way of presenting food. I happen to love meatloaf so this one made in that cute heart shape would be even better. That entire menu sounds really delicious. Have a great week!
Shannon

Anne @ Domesblissity said...

I've used my heart shaped cookie cutter for sweet things Nann but never thought to use it for savoury. What a fantastic idea. I love your broccolli salad too. Did you blanch it before you put it all together. The table setting looks gorgeous as well.

Anne xx

Nellie said...

How festive, Nann! I'm sure it was delicious, too! Thank you for posting your recipe.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I love the little individual heart meat loafs...cute idea!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea!!! I am going to make these!!!
Love, Dee

Kelli Henderson (The Pharmcook) said...

Love Love LOVE the heart shaped meatloaf. Meatloaf is a favorite with my guys, too! :)))

Anonymous said...

You really served your meatloaf up beautifully! Every year I make a heart shaped meatloaf for my husband...Huge! This is a great idea I'll be trying. Individual portions.

Peggy Calhoun

Mary at Deep South Dish said...

What a sweetheart of a post and I'm so glad that you are enjoying my Rotel sauce! It's a great accent to meatloaf. How could anybody not love this menu?! Here's the direct link to the original recipe for the sauce http://www.deepsouthdish.com/2010/06/sweet-and-spicy-rotel-sauce-for.html in case you'd like to update that in your post.

Debi Wood said...

OMG Nann, these are ADORABLE! You are so right with your observation about men and meat! Great recipe..thanks!

Jo's This and That said...

I should have know only you could make meatloaf special,I am stealing your idea but here in KY I am using a small heart shape cake pan I have a big heart lol no we love meatloaf! Thanks for sharing Joann

Shirley said...

Oh how I wish I had seen this earlier so I could make some for some shut-in's I visit..they love meatloaf..oh well,I can still get some of them made..Thanks so much..Lovely idea..
~Shirley

Shabby chic Sandy said...

What a great idea--my husband loves meatloaf!

Shanee @ LivingLifeSouthernStyle said...

Thanks so much, you just solved my what to do for V-Day dinner question. Hubby loves meatloaf but I had never thought of this!

Lisa Balazs said...

Visiting from Seasonal Sunday (my first time on here) and how awesome are those little heart meatloafs. I will be definitely trying this out! Thank you so much for sharing. Newest follower on Linky.

Hugs, LisaKay
Belles Roses Romantiques

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Okay, I've just seen two of your posts, and I'm going to have to get up from this computer and go eat something, cause you are making me soooo hungry! How clever to make individual heart shaped meat loaves. Thanks for linking another yummy recipe to the party. laurie

Gypsy Heart said...

What a great idea! You are so talented in the kitchen and very creative. My kids & grandkids would love the "meat casseroles" as well as the other dishes. Have you already shared the recipe for the Broccoli Salad? I would love to have it!

Pat

Linda said...

Love the hear shaped meatloaves. What a fun dinner for everyone.
Keep up the good work Nann. Love your recipes.

Linda Young said...

What a satisfying meal! It really looks pretty too, and everybody seems to love meatloaf! I guess I could do crabcakes or salmon patties in individual heart-shapes the same way? It was all presented so beautifully!
I am your newest follower!
Be blessed!
Linda

Sherry said...

Great idea! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

Marriage from Scratch said...

YUM! I’d love for you to come link this up at Marriage from Scratch for From Scratch Friday! It’s on the blog now.

~Christina
http://marriagefromscratch.blogspot.com/2012/02/from-scratch-friday-3.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...