Wednesday, March 28, 2012

An April Fools Day Dinner and You're Invited!




About two years ago one of my daughters came and told me about an April Fools dinner she wanted to do. But because it involved quite a bit of kitchen counter space and a whole lot of dishes to get it prepared and served, she wanted to have it at our home. Well what a dinner it was. It was Fun Fun Fun! It has now become a tradition and this will be our third year doing it. When people hear about it.... everyone wants to be invited! Its grown from 8 of us to over 20 this year. And it goes without saying that the grandkids absolutely LOVE it!  And really... so do the adults.

So How do you give an April Fools Dinner?
The menu is of upmost importance. And you start with that.

This is the outside of the menu. The menu is folded in half.
   Kristi, our daughter, designed this 'official menu'  on the computer. Since its April Fools Day she always comes up with a fun name for the Cafe. This year it's The Joker Cafe.  She and I figure out the name of each food once we have decided what to serve.  We have so much fun doing this part of it.

Here you see the Menu opened.
 Notice each side of the page. On the left you see the 'menu' and on the right the three courses that you fill in. You select four things for each course. And you can only put an item down once. Part of the 'menu' includes your eating utensils, napkins and water. It's great if you choose at least a fork or spoon in the first course... but it's sometime hard to know. You have to figure out what the food is by the title. And mum's the word when making out your choices.  The 'servers' (my daughter and myself) then gather the menus and get each course prepared for each person. What a surprize when everyone gets their food. Sometimes its really funny!!


     
Menu Translation for this year.
This is the translation of this years menu. We keep this in the kitchen when making up the plates for each course. The first year in 2010 we served spaghetti. Can you imagine ordering that and no utensils? (smile) But once you do get your utensils...then you keep them throughout the rest of the dinner. Sometimes because of a persons choices they don't get some of the utensils until the last course...which has happened. And... can  you imagine eating spaghetti without utensils. (smile) 


Here are two former menus. They were delicious and so much fun to serve.
April Fools Day Menu 2011



     April Fools Day Menu 2010

Stay tuned for photos and tablesettings. I'll be posting these very soon.

Thanks for joining me today! More fun surprizes await you.


Nann

I'll be joining these fun Linky Parties:

Color Connection  http://www.kids-e-connection.com/2012/03/water-globe.html


22 comments:

Michele @ The Nest at Finch Rest said...

I think that is one of the cutest things I have ever heard in my life.

I cannot imagine how much fun you all have - and 20 people too? WOW!

What fun! Can't wait to hear more, that is such a NEAT idea!

Creations By Cindy said...

Nann I heard about a Sunday school class doing this once with their couples and that it was the funniest thing. I think it is the cutest idea ever. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Linda @ A La Carte said...

What a fun thing to do! I bet the kids love it! Clever menu's and lots of laughter I bet!

Bliss said...

No wonder everyone wants an invite! How darn fun is that?????

~Bliss~

fixitfaerie said...

This is such a cute idea. I really enjoy your blog. Thank you for sharing. Paula

fixitfaerie said...

This is such a cute idea. I really enjoy your blog. Thank you for sharing. Paula

Nellie said...

This sounds like such fun! My sister's birthday happens to be on April 1st!

Shabby chic Sandy said...

That just sounds like so much fun. What memories are made of. Can't wait to see more!

Jo's This and That said...

Oh how fun! Wish I was could come.I will just be here in Ky eating my road kill. Jo Ann(Smile)

Elyse said...

This is too funny! What a cute idea. Enjoyed this post. Hope you're doing well!

Anne @ Domesblissity said...

Oh Nann. What a fun idea! I'd never heard of it before. I'm definitely bookmarking this for next year! Hope you have heaps of fun.

Anne xx

Ms. Burrito said...

that sounds fun.

My Pink, you might want to link up with my Color Connection meme as well.

Kathleen said...

That sounds like so much fun! Thanks for sharing this at Let's Dish!

chubskulit said...

FUN! Thank you for linking up to Color Connection, hope to see you again next week..

Rose, Ms. Burrito's Mom

Leah H. said...

That's pretty neat!

Visiting for Color Connection- hope you can stop by:)

http://www.sweetposh.info/2012/03/pretty-in-her-oshkosh-yellow-shirt.html

Kether said...

Thanks so much for sharing! We did this and it was so much fun! In addition to the meal (meatloaf, mashed potatoes and green beans... with no utensils for some! ha!) we made fake chicken pot pies that were actually dessert. It was funny when we had to stop my FIL from smothering his in mashed potatoes, which he got at the same time.
I can't thank you enough. This will definitely be part of our family lore. I even made funny tags for the table that said funny things like don't look now but there's a spider on the table, or hey! your shirt is inside out, hung a sign on the front door that said "Gone Fishing" and made folks hula for water. We had such a GREAT night.

Mrs. Handyverger said...

Nann, this made me laugh. What fun!

Pink Roses and Teacups said...

This is so fun! Really creative!


Debbie

Nann from At Nann's Table said...

Thankyou ALL for your wonderful comments. I appreciate every one of them.

Kether..I tried to find you but couldn't. And I don't know if you'll even see this but I was just thrilled that you did this dinner. It just tickled me pink. What fun you all had. Thanks for sharing it.

Nann

wifetoalineman02 said...

very cute April fools ideas :-) Dropping by from CC.

http://www.mommies2ks.com/2012/03/birthday-gifts-for-her-classmate-victoria.html

Mike Carr said...

Nann I heard about a Sunday school class doing this once with their couples and that it was the funniest thing. I think it is the cutest idea ever. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

BChandler said...

Thank you so much for posting this! I've been doing this with my family for the past 2 years and was needing some more ideas. I've done a super heroes and princesses dinner (trying to appease 3 yr old girls and 7 yr old boys). That was super fun. Captain America's shield (scalloped potatoes) Snow White's Demise (apple slices). Love the menu names and food names! I plan on using them this year. I'm planning it out super late. I'm usually more on the ball than this. LOL!

Bryn
https://www.facebook.com/groups/EssentialOilsWithBryn/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...