Thursday, May 3, 2012

A Cinco de Mayo Celebration!





Cinco de Mayo is on May 5th. Celebrating Cinco de Mayo has become increasingly popular in parts of the U.S. that have a high population of people with a Mexican heritage. This holiday is a celebration of Mexican culture, of food, music and customs unique to Mexico. We lived in Texas for a number of years and loved it there. And on May 5th we often set the table in a Mexican theme and had Mexican Food. It was a fun traditiion and is one of the many wonderful memories we have of living in Texas.







Recently I gave an early Cinco de Mayo luncheon (pot luck) with a few friends and I wanted to share it with you.
This is a simple but colorful tablesetting that I used. This photo is looking down at the table from a
balcony.I had not put on the 'mock' margaritas yet.




Here I had added the margarita glasses to the table and put them on top of the napkins to add interest. To make the 'mock' margaritas just make a can of frozen limeade according to package directions. Then add some lemon lime soda. Pour it into champagne or margarita glasses where you have moistened the rims of the glasses with water and the dipped the rims in green sugar crystals. Garnish each glass with a slice of fresh lime.




I thought this picture of toasting the mock magaritas was delightful. Here's to ya. We all had so much fun and chatted and laughed for several hours. Time flies when you're having fun!!


The red tablecloth I have used many times over the years. It's an easy care, faithful friend. The lime green chargers are from Hobby Lobby and the plates, goblets and napkins are from the Dollar Tree. So inexpensive yet colorful and they make such a bold statement for our Mexican Themed Party.

The Food....Oh the Food
The luncheon was Potluck and I knew ahead what everyone would bring. From left to right is Mexican Manicotti- Nancy, Mexican Rice- Gwen, Skillet Chili Cheese Cornbread-Nancy, Fresh Homemade Salsa, white and yellow tortilla chips and Homemade Guacamole - Lorena and a yummy fresh tossed salad with dressing and add-ins- Meredith.

Dessert was Mock fried ice cream with hot fudge and baked cinnamon & sugar tortilla chips.
Everything was so over the top delicious!

Easy Mexican Rice
Easy Mexican Rice
2 tablespoons oil
1 medium onion chopped
1 1/2 cups uncooked white rice
3- 6 cups chicken broth
1 cup chunky salsa
Heat oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
Add rice, stirring often.(add more oil if necessary.) When rice begins to brown, stir in 3 cups chicken broth and salsa. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes, until liquid has been absorbed and rice is done. NOTE:I had to add quite a bit of additional chicken broth. Add as needed. My rice took longer than 20 minutes. So don’t run off and leave it. (smile). Garnish with chopped green onions and a little fresh salsa and chopped cilantro. Enjoy! Its delicious!!
 Skillet Chili Cheese Cornbread
Skillet Chili Cheese Cornbread
Cooking spray
1 (14.5-ounce) box honey cornbread mix (Krusteaz)
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
2 T. cooking oil
1 (4-ounce) can diced green chilies
1 (11-ounce) can Mexi-corn
1 cup shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 10-12 inch cast iron skillet with cooking spray.
In a medium mixing bowl stir together all ingredients until blended. Pour batter into prepared cast iron
skillet. . Bake 35 to 40 minutes until a wooden skewer inserted in center comes out clean. Cut into wedges and
serve it right out of the pan.
Chipotle Honey Butter
2 sticks butter, softened
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon Chipotle Hot Sauce (Tabasco Brand)
2 tablespoons Southwest chipotle seasoning (Mrs. Dash)
Combine all ingredients. Put in a dish and pass with cornbread.
(Recipe adapted from Sandra Lee.)
In future posts I'll be giving more of these fun mexican recipes with tutorials. Meanwhile try these two recipes for Cinco de Mayo. You won't be dissappointed. And think about having your own Mexican Celebration on May 5th. Your family will love it.

Thankyou for joining me!! I love having you visit.


Nann

I'll be joining some of these linky parties
Show Off Your Cottage Monday Masterpiece Monday DebbieDoos Newbie Party http://debbie-debbiedoos.com/On the Menu Monday Cowgirl UPhttp://cedarhillranch.blogspot.com/  http://stonegable.blogspot.com/ Pink  Saturdayhttp://howsweetthesound.typepad.com/my_weblog/2012/04/pink-saturday-april-28-2012.htmlShow And Tell Friday, I'm Lovin' It Friday, Show Off Your Stuff, Inspiration Friday, Feathered Nest Friday, Friday Favorites, Flaunt It Friday, Frugal Friday, Friday Unfolded, Tickled Pink, Vintage Inspiration Friday, Saturday Nite Special, Country Momma Link and Greet Party, Show And Tell Saturday, Sunday Showcase, Sundae Scoop, Seasonal Sunday, Made By You Monday, Show Me How, CraftOManiac Monday, Masterpiece Monday, Party Time With Cheri, DIY Project Parade, Craftastic Monday, Craft Catwalk, Making Monday Marvelous, Creative Bloggers Party, Mad Skills Monday, Show Off Your Cottage Monday, Metamorphosis Monday, Handmade Tuesday, Get Your Craft On, Tip Me Tuesday, Tuesday Treasures, Table Top Tuesday, Love It And Link It Up Party, Show Me What You Got, Nifty Thrifty Tuesday, Tutorial Tuesday, Tutes And Tips Party, Show And Tell Wednesday, Outdoor Wednesday, Whatever Goes Wednesday, Creative Share Wednesday, We Did It Wednesday, Whatever You Want Wednesday, Home Decor And Organizing Party, Share The Love Wednesday, Transformation Thursday, Strut Your Stuff, It's A Keeper Thursday, Craft Soiree, Fresh Cut Friday Share your cup Thursday http://jannolson.blogspot.com/2012/04/share-your-cup-thursday-6.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+HaveADailyCupFromMrsOlson+%28Have+a+daily+cup+from+Mrs.+Olson%29Lets Dish http://www.cuisinekathleen.com/ Thriving on Thursdays http://www.domesblissity.blogspot.com/ Tablescape Thursdayhttp://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/Wow Us Wednesdays http://savvysouthernstyle.blogspot.com/Whats It Wednesdays http://ivyandelephants.blogspot.com/The Bunny Hop http://bunnyjeansdecorandmore.blogspot.com/Cozy Home Scenes http://cozyhomescenes.blogspot.com/Rose Chintz Tea Time Tuesday Tabletop Tuesday A Return to Loveliness Pink Saturday

20 comments:

Anne @ Domesblissity said...

Oh Nann! Thank you so much for explaining Cinco De Mayo! I had no idea what it was. I've seen it mentioned so many times in blogs but just haven't had time to Google it. What a lot of fun! You're tablesetting is amazing, as usual. I love the sound of those faux margueritas. Very refreshing. You know Nann. Our very first Christmas here in our house, I was hosting Christmas. I went to the fabric store to buy some nice Christmas fabric for my really long outdoor dining table and it was really expensive. I saw some plain red fabric and it was the last 3 metres on the roll, which fit my table perfectly. It's had things spilt on it, wax from candles fall over on it but after 11 years, it's still going and gets brought out for every function. It's amazing how functional a plain red tablecloth is. Thanks too for the Mexican rice recipe. I've made one before but it didn't taste very nice. I bet yours is delicious. Thanks very much my lovely friend.

Much love,
Anne xx

val's alentejo blogspot.com said...

Hello Nan,
I found your comments over at Michell's blog
Your table settings are beautiful. I am amazed at all the lovely table setting some of the ladies show.
I know about cinco do mayo.. its a big celebration in Mexico.
I love your american festivities..
congratulations on 8 children and 34 grandchildren. thats a wonderful family. One of my aunts has 1 boy and 7 girls..

Happy blogging. I have joined your site
maybe i might see you my way
kind regards
val

Creations By Cindy said...

Oh I love your tablescape and all the wonderful dishes you prepared! How fun! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Diane said...

Awesome, Nann!! The colors are so vibrant and I love the mock Margaritas, although I have to confess, I might use the real ones!! Loved your recipes - thanks for sharing those!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

What a fun table and I'm sure a great time with friends was had! Love the food also!

Michele @ The Nest at Finch Rest said...

Nann!!!! You are simply the best, lady!

What an inspirational post!

What FUN too!!!!

Everything is dead-on perfection.

Shannon@Cozy Home Scenes said...

Pot lucks are so much fun and I'm sure one with you and your friends would be especially fun and delicious. Your Cinco De Mayo table is so appropriate with all the bright colors. It looks like a place for much laughter and fun. The food looks delicious and there was a good variety of food. I hope you have a really nice weekend and think of me while I try to get caught up!!-------- Shannon

Shabby chic Sandy said...

Oh my goodness--I love Mexican food! It all looks so good I almost forgot about how beautiful your table looks! (almost) The mock Margaritas sound really good--though I love the real ones too. You have made me hungry! Great post--I so enjoyed it.

chubskulit said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Mexican food is one of my favorite. We used to celebrate this when hubby was still in the service.

My Pink, have a great weekend!

Nellie said...

This sounds like such a wonderful party! Potluck is the way to go! Of course, I always do too much anyway.:)
I am especially interested in the mock margaritas, as well as the "fried" ice cream.:) xoxo Nellie

Michele said...

yum yum yum! happy pink saturday! xo

racheld said...

How charming and delightful!! Your friends are very lucky, as well as being such good cooks.

The colors and the menu are simply wonderful.

rachel

Debbiedoo's said...

Oh what fun. I adore all the festivities and colors for Cinco de Mayo. So fun. Thanks for sharing Nann.

Patty (Patty's Pretty Things) said...

What a beautiful post Nann! I love the colors of your table and the food looks delicious. I imagine everyone had a wonderful time. Thanks for stopping at my blog. The hat stand is an old one I have had for many years I bought at an antique shop. Your header caught my eye. My son's rehearsal dinner table needs pink and is that toule in the center? I made dinner favors I posted on my blog but am wondering what to put in the center of the table. Since we will travel to Chicago and have a busy day at the cubs game that day I am trying to keep it simple.

Jann Olson said...

Nancy, what a fun table you set for Cinco de Mayo. I was away at a quilt retreat and we had a fabulous celebration. Some of the quilters have Sanish heritage and cooked up some delicious food. Yours looks fabulous! The cheese cornbread sounds so YUM! I signed up for e-mail, but am not getting notifications. I'll have to check into it.
Hugs,
Jann

Shannon @ Cozy Home Scenes said...

This is a wonderful idea for a party Nann! I love Mexican food, so I especially enjoyed your recipes....I could have easily made a little piggie of myself with the delicious looking food you and your friends made! The table looks so festive and fun with the bright colors too. I love seeing how you have a wonderful get together without spending a lot of time or money on it. Thank you so much for sharing your ideas on Your Cozy Home Party!

All The Pretty Dishes said...

I love the photos of your tablescape from above. It all looks wonderful!!

Linda said...

Hi Nann, wonderful and colorful table. Mexican food is one of my favorites. The food looks yummy. Thank you for sharing some awesome recipes. Happy Mother's day.

Kathleen said...

Looks like a great party! The table is very festive, and the food looks great!
You dessert in the other post looks amazing!
Happy Mother's Day! You deserve the best!

Bliss said...

Yumm. Everything is yumm. Love me some Mexican food.

~Bliss~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...