Friday, July 6, 2012

July 3....Fire on the Mountain



Greeting friends. No I haven't disappeared off the face of the earth but alot has been going on with the family so I had to take a break for awhile. But I'm back and so sad about all these terrible fires. We came home from Colorado and the next day a fire started less than a half of mile from our home. You may have heard about it on CNN. Half of our little town that is nestled in the foothills had to be evacuated.


 
DSCN0085


This is a view from my back yard and it had only been burning for 1 hour. The grasses and trees were so dry it spread really fast.

I had been gone all day and at 5 pm I walked out to get into my car and this is what greeted me. Thats the mountain just east of my home. Some of the roads were closed but I got home as quickly as I could. In this photo its about 4 miles away from the fire.

A little too close for comfort.

From my backyard


These are little fires all over the mountains to the left and is a continuation of our mountain. The smoke was horrific.


4th of July night from my backyard. What a spectacle. It sure beat any fireworks displays. But ALL fireworks were banned accept by a couple of the cities. We have had so many fires...all man made. Our govenor said that unfortunately there is no ordinance for stupidity. Negligence by people is not an acceptable excuse.


OVER 2000 ACRES HAVE BURNED. And that is mild compared to many fires.....like in Colorado Springs, Colorado. We had JUST returned from there where over 350 houses burned down and thousands were evacuated. It was a terrible thing to witness. So tragic and it was by an arsonist. It just makes you sick.



Our fire is 50 % contained and had gone over the mountains to other canyons. Over 500 fire fighters and numerous planes, helicopters and trucks are fighting it. May I say....

GOD  BLESS  OUR  FIREFIGHTERS!!!

Nann



16 comments:

Shannon @ Cozy Home Scenes said...

I saw Jann's post about the fires the other day and was worried about you since you haven't been posting. So glad you are okay, and I do hope that your home will remain safe. Yours, Jann's, and everyone's families who have been affected by these fires have been in my famiy's prayers lately. Thanks for checking in and letting us know you are okay!

Shabby chic Sandy said...

All these fires are so terrible. I hope everything is put out soon and everyone is safe. The smoke must be terrible. I am so sensitive to smoke my eyes would be burning!

Jojo said...

Colorado and the firefighters remain in our hearts and prayers. Hoping rain comes your way.

Anne @ Domesblissity said...

OH NO Nann! I can't believe it. I've been thinking about you so much lately, hoping you've been okay because I hadn't heard from you for so long but I totally understand how we get so busy. I'm so glad you're okay but I hadn't realised the fires spread into Utah. I'm so glad you're okay. Thank heavens for the firefighters alright!

Thinking of you,
Anne xx

Patty (Patty's Pretty Things) said...

My husband was flying home today and he said when he looked down out of the airplane window things looked green until he realized what he saw were the green trees. Then he saw brown lawns everywhere. It's so dry. I hope you stay safe Nann. Will be thinking about you.

fixitfaerie said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. I really did wonder what happened to you. I lived in a canyon for 19 years, and we had many fires, it is a frightening thing, fire. You are in my prayers. Paula

Michele @ The Nest at Finch Rest said...

Oh my word, it truly is awful.

I had wondered where you were - just wrote you an email asking, so you needn't reply - you still aren't popping up like you used to, hate that.

You know your subject line Fire on the Mountain? Soon as I wrote that I thought of the very old Grateful Dead song called that, probably my fav song of theirs - rare too b/c it was way back when Donna G sang with them.

Anyway, it's awful to see that fire and smoke - we need our land and trees, and it hurts us ALL when this happens.

Bless the Firefighters for SURE!

Sure do wish it would cool off, another day of 100+ degrees, this is getting super old.

Luv ya.

Nellie said...

What a scary time, Nann! Stay safe!

xo Nellie

Bliss said...

I'm glad you are safe and I hope any arsonists are caught.

Next post I hope has some happier moments, like wrestling polar bears or sliding down glaciers.

Bliss

kitty said...

Oh Nann, I'm so happy that you are safe and sound! I wondered what had happened to you and now I know. God bless those wonderful firefighters. xoxo

Jo's This and That 3 said...

Happy you are safe! I have missed you! It has been hot here in ky over 100 for more than a week .acool front has moved in only 80 this week .i know it has may me do some thinking .... I better be good for I can't take the heat lol joann

Pat @ Pat's Pink Apron said...

That fire was a little too close wasn't it. Hate to hear about the fires. The firefighters are wonderful I agree.

Kathleen said...

I have been praying for CO. Thank God you aRe ok. Heartbreaking!
I am wishing you rain!

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

I'm glad you are safe from the fires. What a terrible thing to come home to! Our hearts go out to those who have lost so much.

Bunny Jean said...

Oh Nann...

I just got to thinking that I haven't heard about your trip to Alaska and found this post. This is a couple of weeks old and you are still MIA.

I hope and pray that everything is okay, as much as it can be.

xoxo Bunny Jean

Judy Bigg said...

Stay safe, thanks for the update.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...